A magnitude 6.8 earthquake hit the Negros-Cebu region, according to the United States Geological Survey (USGS).
The following intensities were felt in the following areas:
- Intensity VII – Dumaguete City
- Intensity VI – La Carlota City and La Castellana, Negros Occidental
- Intensity V – Roxas City; Dao and Ivisan, Capiz; Iloilo City
- Intensity IV – San Jose de Buenavista and Pandan Antique; Ayungon, Negros Oriental; Kalibo, Aklan; Sagay, Negros Occidental; Dipolog City
- Intensity III – Butuan City, Agusan del Norte; Legaspi City, Albay; Carmen, Cagayan de Oro
- Intensity II – Cabid-an, Sorsogon
Initial information from the agency said the quake occurred at 11:49 a.m. February 6, 2012 in the following epicenters:
70 kms (44 miles) north from Dumaguete, Negros
79 kms (49 miles) west northwest from Tagbilaran, Bohol
80 kms (50 miles) south southeast from Bacolod, Negros
574 kms (356 miles) south southeast from Manila
The agency said the earthquake had a depth of 46.6 kms. Tsunami alert was raised.
In Iloilo City, classes were cancelled and people rush outside the malls. All the malls were closed after the earthquake and a total blackout was noted in the area.